Saturday, January 14, 2012


I didn't blog yesterday, mainly because my body decided that it was going to stage a coup and do whatever it could to take me out of the game. I drank my detox smoothie and detox tea, took my horrible tincture (which I refer to as ass in a glass but actually tastes horribly bitter and reminds me of EARWAX ew ew ew) and ate mostly veggies dutifully. The food was great: I made a vegetable soup, and was shocked that SG asked if he could have some for his lunch. Of course, he got to supplement it with sausages.   

However, by the end of the day, I felt like I wanted to die.There was a persistent horrible taste in my mouth: an awful mixture of garlic and metal. I also noticed a lot of temperature fluctuation: I would be warm one minute, freezing cold the next. The worst part was a feeling of overwhelming nausea. Nothing sounded good. I tried eating blueberries for dinner, and I choked down about three before I gave up. They were delicious, but my body so obviously did not want me to eat them! I also had a persistent headache, the kind I get that turns into a migraine if I don't intervene. Since I have been cautioned against consuming any caffeine, I waited until the last possible minute before finally giving in and taking half my usual dose of Excedrin. At least I was able to make life bearable. 

I spent most of the evening curled up on the couch drinking water, which was the only thing that sounded good, and watching movies on cable- and was in bed before 10.

The interesting part: I stared reading bits of "Primal Body, Primal Mind" when I was waiting for SG to come to bed, and it was like the chapter was tailor made for me. It talked about how heavily leptin resistant people have a really hard time converting from burning sugar to burning fat as fuel, and that their bodies will make sugar out of bone and muscle tissue in severe cases. Looking at my labs, I cut out all sugar on Jan 1st, have been staying below 30 g. carbs a day since then as well, and have been relatively grain free for two years. My fasting blood sugar was still riiiight at the top of the range on January 4th. That's kind of terrifying. No wonder I have been getting headaches!

So I am just doing my best to be mindful and get through this. It's only for 5 days. And happily, I woke up this morning feeling much better. 1 day down, 4 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment