Thursday, April 11, 2013

Involuntary narcolepsy

Days 3 and 4 of my Whole 30 have gone pretty swimmingly. I still really miss stevia, and my Kerrygold butter. Last night, I bit the bullet and turned 3/4 of my butter stash into ghee, aka clarified butter. While ghee is just not the same, the aroma while the butter simmered brought back childhood flashbacks of watching my mom and grandmother make Armenian rice pilaf, which calls for clarified butter. Notably, Mom doesn't bother to clarify the butter anymore. (And I have to admit: while ghee is nice, it's nowhere near as nice as butter. I think that when I use this up, I will just use coconut oil instead.)

While I was stirring the ghee, I threw some artichokes and sweet potatoes into the oven to roast. The potatoes just got stabbed a few times and thrown in on a cookie sheet: no foil, no nothing. I invested more time in the artichokes- peeling garlic cloves  and drizzling olive oil on top, then sprinkling with sea salt.

While everything else worked out great, I suspect the oven temp was too high for my poor artichokes, and they had shriveled into sad little leathery pods by the time I bothered to check on them, halfway through the bake time listed on the recipe. I ended up having to throw the poor little crispy critters out- burnt on the outside, raw on the inside. I am going to blame the recipe I followed for that one.

Another Whole 30 quirk: it seems to be a well-known fact that around days 3 and 4, people complain of tiredness. Both yesterday and today, I woke up feeling great, and raring to go. Then around lunch time, I would sit down and ...Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Involuntary naps, both days. I haven't noticed the shorter fuse that other people talk about, though. It's been relatively easy so far- but then, I haven't made a very drastic change, and didn't do the crazy "last supper" that most people do beforehand. We will see what happens this weekend: I am going out of town with one of my buddies, and I am hoping to stick with it the whole time!

Other, more pleasant side effects: my skin looks awesome. I swear, I look younger. I am also automatically paying more attention to the ingredients in packaged foods, out of necessity- something that everyone starts out with in the beginning, but after a couple of years of this, I have been on auto pilot. The only dairy I was consuming before was occasional ice cream, ditto Greek yogurt, and cheese and butter. I would also occasionally have a sugary treat. My sleep has been so much better, I am thinking that I will feel better if I emerge from this with a stricter interpretation- closer to Paleo than Primal. I hate the thought of ditching dairy altogether though!   


No comments:

Post a Comment