Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Snickerdoodle Alert

Yes, I wish I had a Viking range!
I tend to make a lot of similar meals. Roasting something (chicken, large chunk of animal protein) is the basis for many of my meals, simply because it's easy, and doesn't destroy the kitchen night after night, due to the magic of Leftovers. Oh leftovers, I love you so! I do enjoy cooking, but NOT having to cook is even better.

I finally got the news today (after six days of torture) that what I was worried about, healthwise, will not be an issue. Knowing I will be able to move forward is a huge weight off my shoulders.
Spending the week waiting for answers has been nerve wracking, and my routine went out the window. The result? There have been a few experiments this week.


The first one? Snickerdoodles.

I rarely try to make Primal/Paleo treats, because of course, I eat them. But after the last pizza experiment, I have a big shipment of coconut flour from amazon.com. And I read a nice-looking Snickerdoodle recipe I thought I would try on one of the Facebook Paleo sites I visit.

Here is the recipe I followed:

2 sticks butter
4 eggs
1/2 c. coconut flour
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla

bake at 325 for 20min.


Easy peasy, right?  

I have no "sugar" in my house. I do have a baking blend of sugar, stevia, and inulin. I used 1/8 c. of that, mixed all the ingredients, and loaded up the cookie scoop.

The results looked pretty awesome!

 SG ate these happily, three to four at a time. Since the recipe makes somewhere between 16 and 18 cookies, they didn't last long.

He really liked them- I was less thrilled. I will probably make a version of them again, closer to Christmas time, and with some tweaks.

1. I'll use less butter. At least 2 TB less, possibly as much as 1/2 stick.  There was melted butter running all over the baking sheets when these were done.

2. I'll sub out the "sugar" for maple syrup.

3. I'll press out the cookies a little, so they look more like cookies. These really hold their shape while baking, and I would like them to look less like biscuits or pucks. ;)

The texture on these was interesting: a little more cakey than I would like, but most "paleo" cookies do that.  I am thinking a thinner cookie would eradicate that issue. The exterior had a nice crunch and crumble. SG seemed unaffected by eating huge quantities, but I only wanted one or two. That Coconut flour is pretty filling.

Let me know if you decide to try 'em out!

No comments:

Post a Comment