Friday, December 2, 2011

Bullet Proof

Wonder Woman with a spear: WIN!
   I know I have talked about this before, but I have been eating Primally for...at least a year and a half, now. I love all the benefits that it has given me, but one major one that I have been lacking would be weight loss. I see all kinds of testimonials from people who lost 10 lbs the first month. I think I have maybe lost 15 in the last year and a half. And I am not someone who is agonizing over getting down to 5% bodyfat, I am someone who would really like to get out of the "obese" category

So I have been dabbling. I am experimenting right now- with the holidays, establishing a routine is a nightmare, but I really want to be dialed in for 2012. I had a shelf of diet books that have been added to the give away/charity pile- They are not something I need in my life anymore. My Primal and Paleo Cookbooks are on my kitchen counter, and the more mainstream ones are up in that unreachable storage on top of the cabinets. My Christmas list is made, and it's hilariously, all cooking gadgets.

In my search- to dabble or tweak within the existing realm of Primal eating- I ran across a few references to BulletProof Coffee.  I sort of disregarded them at first, mainly because my acupuncturist says that coffee is unilaterally bad, and that I have no business drinking it. OK. So, I cut out caffeine, except for a brief patch this summer, where I was drinking iced Americanos with heavy cream every morning. Ironically, while I was doing this, my acupuncturist felt I was "healthier"- my temperatures were higher, my pulse was stronger, things like that.

Eventually though, I felt so guilty about my secret coffee consumption, I decided I had better behave myself. So I quit my coffee habit cold turkey- a nightmare week of migraines and caffeine withdrawal convinced me that having a daily coffee habit was a mistake I never wanted to repeat again. It wasn't until I had a frank discussion with my acupuncturist this week, and he said, "Look, you seem to be regressing- what are you doing differently?" that I started thinking about it, and the only variable I could come up with was  that I had cut out coffee.

Also, when reviewing Jack Kruse's Leptin Prescription criteria, I realized that I was making a few major mistakes: I was usually just not eating breakfast. When I did, it was usually a green smoothie, which was delicious and technically made with healthy ingredients, but was also in no way the "low-carb, high protein and fat" breakfast he recommends for people trying to speed up weight loss. I mean, that suckers got a date AND a banana in it. When I did have a big bacon and egg breakfast, it usually meant I had been up for awhile, so I wasn't eating ASAP after waking up, either- something else that is supposed to be vital.

Now, I don't know about you, but frying up some eggs and bacon first thing after I wake up is not something that appeals to me. I suppose I could keep making frittatas and keeping them on hand, but as the weather gets colder, I really want something warm, and a microwaved frittata doesn't sound too fabulous. So I guess that when I encountered Bulletproof Coffee yet again in the comments on MDA yesterday, I thought- "OK, this may be what I am looking for. So what if it sounds crazy to put unsalted butter in your morning coffee?"

"I'm BULLETPROOF, beeeyotch!!!"
We used the coffee we had on hand, which is relatively high quality, although possibly not completely kosher according to the standards listed on the website. LG set the auto timer on the coffee maker last night, and I scurried out this morning to get unsalted Kerrygold from Trader Joe's.

I followed the instructions to the letter, and...Bulletproof Coffee, where have you been all my life?! I have never drunk a cup of coffee that fast. I am experiencing the side effects he discusses, which is to crave more, but I am definitely not hungry, I have a ton of energy, and I feel like I can leap tall buildings in a single bound. I am already looking forward to tomorrow's Bulletproof breakfast. And if the acupuncturist reports on any positive changes at my next appointment, I will 'fess up.

No comments:

Post a Comment